^Aloha...You think you know, but you have no idea. This is the diary of Taria's trip to Vanderbilt.
...............DAY 1............................................................
^ So I have to be at Vanderbilt by 1:00pm, right? Well that's cool, no problem. Only my flight from Omaha leaves at 7:00, which for those of you in the world who are flightularly challenged, means I need to be at the airport by at least 5:30, probably earlier considering there are going to be 200 band kids clogging the security trying to get to Anaheim for their trip. All of this added up to me gettting up at 4:00 AM. Which was maybe a little early, but maybe not considering the fact that I hadn't packed. It's not as bad as you think. I folded all my clothes and organized everything and set it next to my suitcase. I just didn't put it in. Hey, I was merely engaging in game of extreme procrastination..although, if it were really a game, maybe in the winter olympics, it would be XTreme Procrastination...or Loafing...yes... I am the XTreme Loaf champion...send me money!
^The flight to Atlanta was mostly uneventful except for the severe turbulence... I just pretended I was on a roller coaster. A very big, very high, terribly overpriced roller coaster...
^ Now, you know you're in HOTlanta when the airport plays Nelly instead of elevator music. I was in a little shop buying cheap postcards for Kimmy, Molly, and Allyson for their trip to ATL this summer (and dropping 10 bucks for film - which unfortuantely I found out was NOT made of gold) when what should I hear but the intrumental synthesized version of Dilemma playing softly in the speakers as if it were supposed to be soothing to the day's travelers. That was quality.
Also quality was the absolutely gorgeous guy that I met while sitting at the gate for my flight to Nashville. I had a 3 hour layover at the airport and was looking forward to spending some quality time doing the crossword - but when he came and sat down all that went out the window. We introduced ourselves and compared boarding passes. I was sitting in12D and he was sitting in 12E ... we would be sitting next to each other. This made me very very happy...in that scheming sort of way. We worked on the crossword and talked about people walking by..it was wonderful. Then the gate next to us started boarding for another flight and he asked me if I was was ready to go...I was crushed as I realized that he was actually sitting in 12E on the flight to El Paso...damn.
But HOTlanta did not leave me hanging. As we were pulling at the gate I caught a glimpse of something horribly orange out of the corner of my eye. When I looked out of my window I was greeted by a jet with a giant owl on the side. Yes, you are correct in thinking that it was a Hooter's jet. A HOOTER'S JET!! Hooter's Air to be exact. That made me laugh...You know what else made me laugh during that flight? The Simpsons. Yes, The Simpsons. The in-flight show was the episode where Homer blows the house mortgage on Jack O'Lanterns and borrows money from Patti and Selma and they make him their pseudo-slave. All in all ... I'd say I had an XTremely positive traveling experience...
^Bah...I skipped going to Music Theory II this morning to type this up, but I'm going to a freshman seminar on the credibility of theatre...I gotta run, but I'll finish this later...
(time is passing)
^Hey there...man that seminar was intellectually stimulating...now I'm all turned on...my brain that is. Anyway, I got my bags and found the VU table and met some potential classmates....many of them are from Miami...they are all cool... one of them is hot. He has one blue eye and one brown eye. When I was told this I immdiately started analyzing the biology behind it, talking in biology terms of dominant and recessive genes. Everyone thought about it for a minute and then looked at me funny. We all realized that everyone here is intellectually ahead of the game so we don't have anything to prove. THAT MEANT WE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE SMART FOR THE REST OF THE WEEKEND!! We took a smoke pit smelling charter bus to campus and went through the whole registration process which was terribly unorganized. I like this, makes me relax a little bit. Not even seriously overpriced universities are perfect so why should I have to be? I lost a mitten at the registration...that made me sad. We divided into groups and did a scavenger hunt as a tour of campus. Well, I should say we were supposed to do a scavenger hunt as a tour of campus. I skipped my first VU activity. Our group was hungry so we went to the PUB and got some food instead. It wasn't all cheating. The PUB was one of the places that was worth bonus points in the hunt ... and while we were there we took a picture by the naked statue in Saratt's (student center) courtyard...more bonus points. I think that out of the 100 potential points we could have gotten, we got 6. Not too bad if I do say so myself.
^Leah is my host. She is from Arkansas. She is crazy. She has introduced me to the black folks here and they are crazy too. I like them. They make me feel like going to their parties. Oh wait, I did...and will again later on tonight.
^ I skipped my second VU activity. Instead of going to a coffehouse/poetry reading, I went with Leah and the CBFs (crazy black folks) to Chili's. It was nice because I was breaking the rules. Then we came back to our room and learned how to dance to Britney Spears, N*SYNC, Jordan Knight, and Sean Paul...it was that video with Darren someone that they advertise on tv....it was crazy...but now I know the dance to "Crazy".... And then I went to bed. End of day 1.
^That is all...thank you...
Friday, March 14, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment